Saturday, November 7, 2009

Football Practice on Thanksgiving!

I have family coming to town from Florida. I have family coming in from Texas. Dinner will be at my house. The football team is ranked 1 in the state, playoffs are the weekend of Thanksgiving, and they must have practice Thanksgiving Day. Wow!

I shouldn't be surprised, really. Before setting a date for the c-section with my third child, my husband gave me an order for the doctor. He said not to plan it too early in the morning, that 8:00AM or so would be perfect, so he could have an early basketball practice.

Yes, I am married to the Die Hard Coach. His main sport being basketball, he makes sure his players are playing all year round. He has held 6:30AM open gyms up to 4 days a week for at least 10 years now. He has 2 State Championship Rings to show for his hard work and talented, dedicated players.

But Now is what he has been waiting for. My son will play Varsity Basketball. My husband will be his Coach. Talking about it 7 years ago kinda made me want to say "Ahhh". Now, I just hold my breath. Besides my husband expecting him to play well, there is the whole "Coach's Kid" thing. My husband did coach him last year, too. With the little ones it is hard for me to make it to all the games. It is probably a blessing that I didn't make it to one particular game. The crowd was heckling my husband for playing my son. It's one thing to learn as a coach's wife to ignore the crowd's comments toward my husband, but when is directed at, or about, one of my children, well, that's a whole new ballgame.

The next few years will be interesting for sure. Though it may seem I am complaining, I love my chaotic life. Sometimes I wish it were a little easier, but it reminds me that I am so lucky to have the people in my life. My four day weekend for Thanksgiving will be full and busy, and I will be thankful for each day God gives me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, good luck to your cs. I had that one from our first baby girl. It was tough, yet rewarding:)

    ReplyDelete